Our incredible 2024 Board of Directors is almost set. Every position has an elected or nominated board member, except one.
Are you the final, and extremely important, piece of this remarkable group of board volunteers in 2024? Well, let’s see…
If you have a passion for both travel baseball and softball, thrive being around a competitive game day atmosphere, able to sweat the details, enjoy embracing new teams and ballplayers to OYO, like to coordinate successful events where all proceeds are allocated to help families in need (both inside and outside of OYO) and can collaborate well with fellow volunteers to make these efforts a success, then let’s talk about our All-Star/Rec Travel Tournament Chair position soon.
2024 marks our 50th year of baseball and softball at OYO, and our two all-star tournaments — David Manlove Memorial Tournament and Bill Sturm Memorial Tournament — are primed for tremendous participation and engagement. However, all efforts are on hold for these two events until we are able to secure an All-Star/Rec Travel Tournament Chair.
For more details, here’s the description of the role (and general board responsibilities):
- Oversee all all-star travel baseball and softball tournament programs and activities
- Partner with Vice President of Travel Baseball, Travel Baseball Commissioners, Vice President of Travel Softball and Travel Softball Commissioners to maximize team recruitment for tournaments
- Manage all facets of the annual David Manlove Memorial Tournament (early June)
- Manage all facets of the annual Bill Sturm Memorial Tournament (July)
- Provide guidance for full-time travel program to help them coordinate and manage successful tournaments independently
- Responsibilities include overseeing (and not directly doing) with the help of other OYO Board Members to market the event, field inquiries from interested teams, collect registrations, ensure payments are made, finalize rules, develop schedules, select trophies, recruit umpires, communicate to participating teams and execute event
- Serve five AOD shifts in the spring, three AOD shifts in the fall
- Participate in park prep days and projects
- Attend monthly board meetings, which are a mix of in-person and hybrid meetings
- Assist with special ad hoc projects, as needed
During the past 20 years, nearly 300 individuals have volunteered their time and talents as board members to ensure our ballplayers and families — and visiting travel teams and players — could truly enjoy their OYO experience. We are just everyday moms, dads, coaches, team parents, fans and more who care and work together to make a difference.
We hope you will answer this call and make OYO the beneficiary of your volunteer efforts in 2024. Rest assured, more than 100 all-star travel teams and more than 1200 all-star ballplayers will value the difference you make.
Come Make A Difference! Email us today to share your interest in joining the OYO Board!