The 2023 OYO Board of Directors have rolled up the sleeves and jumped in the trenches to already begin making preparations for next year’s seasons serving all our rec league, rec travel and full-time travel ballplayers. To ensure we continue our success into our 49th Spring Season and 16th Fall Ball Season, we are seeking a few more volunteers!
The OYO Board of Directors is a group of remarkable and incredible people who genuinely enjoy serving the league’s ballplayers and families by sharing their time and talents. If you have ever thought about serving on the OYO Board, we would like to explore these opportunities with you (or others where we can consider co-chair capacities). Your inaugural term would begin after being elected at the next OYO board meeting and continue through October 2024. Our current needs are listed here and detailed “job derscriptions” appear further below on this page:
- Scheduling Co-Chairperson
- Training Chairperson
- Rec Travel Tournament Chairperson
If you enjoy giving back to the community and teaming up with friends from throughout OYO to create memorable experiences, then the 2023 OYO Board of Directors is the place to be. What’s more, the OYO Board just happens to be one of the largest youth sports all-volunteer board of directors in Central Indiana.
Just simply email us to let us know you’re interested in joining the 2023 OYO Board of Directors. Then, based on your interest, experience and background, we’ll work with you to pair you with the role or need that best fits your interests.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL OYO BOARD MEMBERS
- Attend and participate in monthly board meetings (one per quarter in person, remainder virtual)
- Serve Advisor on Duty (AOD) shifts during spring and fall seasons (approx. five in spring, three in fall)
- Represent the very best of OYO at all times (including social media engagement, sportsmanship)
- Fulfill duties of chairperson role and keep appropriate executive board members informed
At this time, the following two board positions are available (and duties listed under each):
- Oversee and coordinate all league regular season and all tournament game schedules
- Responsible for the rescheduling of all make up games, where applicable
- Conduct blind tournament draws and produce tournament brackets for all league tournaments
- Collaborate with the Umpire Committee when scheduling games and tournaments to ensure proper umpire accommodations and staffing can be achieved
- Schedule teams for batting cage reservations upon request within 24 hours of receiving information
- Responsible for training and development of all players and coaches
- Maintain and update Skills Development Framework materials and resources
- Coordinate and staff onsite player development clinics with external instructors during the season
- Coordinate and staff coaches’ clinics before each spring and fall season
- Oversee and manage the Winter Workout program for baseball and softball participants
REC TRAVEL TOURNAMENT CHAIRPERSON
- Oversee all all-star travel baseball and softball tournament programs and activities
- Partner with Vice President of Travel Baseball, Travel Baseball Commissioners, Vice President of Travel Softball and Travel Softball Commissioners to maximize team recruitment for tournaments
- Manage all facets of the annual David Manlove Memorial Tournament (early June)
- Manage all facets of the annual Bill Sturm Memorial Tournament (July)
- Provide guidance for full-time travel program to help them coordinate and manage successful tournaments independently
- Responsibilities include overseeing (and not directly doing) with the help of other OYO Board Members to market the event, field inquiries from interested teams, collect registrations, ensure payments are made, finalize rules, develop schedules, select trophies, recruit umpires, communicate to participating teams and execute event
Learn more today…
If you have questions, contact Michael DeSanto, President.
Thank you for your continued support and choosing OYO as your place for baseball and softball.
Now, we hope you will answer this call and make OYO the beneficiary of your volunteer service in 2023. Rest assured, more than 1000 families and 1600 ballplayers will greatly appreciate the difference you make.
Step up to the plate and join the board!