The 2023 OYO Board of Directors have rolled up the sleeves and jumped in the trenches to already begin making preparations for next year’s seasons serving all our rec league, rec travel and full-time travel ballplayers. To ensure we continue our success into our 49th Spring Season and 16th Fall Ball Season, we are seeking a few more volunteers!
The OYO Board of Directors is a group of remarkable and incredible people who genuinely enjoy serving the league’s ballplayers and families by sharing their time and talents. If you have ever thought about serving on the OYO Board, we would like to explore these opportunities with you (or others where we can consider co-chair capacities). Our current needs are listed here and detailed “job derscriptions” appear further below on this page:
- Rec Travel Tournament Chairperson
- Training Chairperson
- Ways & Means Co-Chairperson
- Junior Baseball Commissioner
If you enjoy giving back to the community and teaming up with friends from throughout OYO to create memorable experiences, then the 2023 OYO Board of Directors is the place to be. What’s more, the OYO Board just happens to be one of the largest youth sports all-volunteer board of directors in Central Indiana.
Just simply email us to let us know you’re interested in joining the 2023 OYO Board of Directors. Then, based on your interest, experience and background, we’ll work with you to pair you with the role or need that best fits your interests.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL OYO BOARD MEMBERS
- Attend and participate in monthly board meetings (one per quarter in person, remainder virtual)
- Serve Advisor on Duty (AOD) shifts during spring and fall seasons (approx. five in spring, three in fall)
- Represent the very best of OYO at all times (including social media engagement, sportsmanship)
- Fulfill duties of chairperson role and keep appropriate executive board members informed
At this time, the following four board positions are available (and duties listed under each):
REC TRAVEL TOURNAMENT CHAIRPERSON
- Oversee all all-star travel baseball and softball tournament programs and activities
- Partner with Vice President of Travel Baseball, Travel Baseball Commissioners, Vice President of Travel Softball and Travel Softball Commissioners to maximize team recruitment for tournaments
- Manage all facets of the annual David Manlove Memorial Tournament (early June)
- Manage all facets of the annual Bill Sturm Memorial Tournament (July)
- Provide guidance for full-time travel program to help them coordinate and manage successful tournaments independently
- Responsibilities include overseeing (and not directly doing) with the help of other OYO Board Members to market the event, field inquiries from interested teams, collect registrations, ensure payments are made, finalize rules, develop schedules, select trophies, recruit umpires, communicate to participating teams and execute event
- Responsible for training and development of all players and coaches
- Maintain and update Skills Development Framework materials and resources
- Coordinate and staff onsite player development clinics with external instructors during the season
- Coordinate and staff coaches’ clinics before each spring and fall season
- Oversee and manage the Winter Workout program for baseball and softball participants
WAYS AND MEANS CO-CHAIRPERSON (one more needed, one already secured)
- Responsible for all fundraising, including sponsorship support for each spring and fall season
- Solicit corporate sponsorships for naming rights to select fields and structures around the park
- Solicit team sponsorships for each spring and fall rec league team
- Collect pledged funds and coordinate delivery to the Treasurer via check or online payment
- Maintain all accurate records, including fees paid, contact information and player request information
- Coordinate information for uniform printer by stated deadlines and for sign printer for display signs to be posted at Veterans Memorial Park
JUNIOR BASEBALL COMMISSIONER
- Oversee all activities and planning for Junior Baseball division
- Review rules in advance of season and make recommendations to board for possible changes
- Recruit coaches, as needed, based on monitoring of coach applications
- Develop player ranking report for each spring/fall season
- Attend/facilitate annual coaches meeting for spring/fall seasons and meet with division’s coaches
- Develop rosters and input teams into LeagueApps
- Communicate regularly with division’s coaches and, as needed, with entire division
Learn more today…
If you have questions, contact Michael DeSanto, President.
Thank you for your continued support and choosing OYO as your place for baseball and softball.
Now, we hope you will answer this call and make OYO the beneficiary of your volunteer service in 2023. Rest assured, more than 1000 families and 1600 ballplayers will greatly appreciate the difference you make.
Step up to the plate and join the board!