Reminders about Designated Seating and Face Coverings
Greetings! As we prepared for our third weekend of baseball and softball at Veterans Memorial Park, we knew things would be different. While there were many changes required for everyone, we acknowledged they were not desired by anyone. For 46 years, OYO has operated on the principles of providing opportunities for every young baseball and softball player to play ball. Through this challenging pandemic, the mission has not wavered yet the plan has been altered and continues to evolve.
More than ever last weekend, we needed a tremendous partnership between our fans, coaches, ballplayers, volunteers, umpires and concession workers. And just as we have always done at OYO, we rose to the occasion collectively demonstrating the teamwork necessary to deliver for our resilient, hard-working ballplayers.
As we move forward with the remainder of the season, we are expected to strictly follow guidelines approved for OYO on game days and practice nights. So, this weekend we appreciate your continued compliance with the following protocols:
- Requesting Immediate Families Only on Game Days | To be in compliance with the maximum allowance of individuals at each field, we are asking for all Fall Ball families to limit the number of fans at OYO on game days to immediate family members only.
- No Fan Seating Behind Backstops | One significant change due to social distance requirements is no one will be allowed to sit or gather behind the home plate areas at any of our 13 fields. We realize these are fan favorite areas and they have historically been packed with fans. They are fun and exciting areas to sit since they are very close to the action, but in order for our park to stay open we can no longer allow these areas to be used for viewing.
- Designated Seating Areas for Fans Will Be Clearly Marked | All fans will need to spread out in one of our pre-marked, designated seating areas around the perimeter of the fences past the dugouts and in the outfield. We all hope for the time when fans are allowed to return closer to the field of play, but for the foreseeable future these areas will be closed to spectators. These markers will be displayed on the fences to help ensure we create six-feet social distancing from each family. Please note, only one family may sit in a designated seating area and space may not be shared between families. (Scorekeepers may sit closer to the dugouts, even where yellow “X” markers are placed.)
- Seating Area Violation and Game Play | If a fan is in violation of the seating rules, an Advisor on Duty (AOD) will ask the fan to move to another location. The AOD will stay until they comply. If the fan does not comply, the AOD will immediately suspend the game until the fan is in compliance. During the suspension, the field is cleared as the players must join their parents and there shall be no players or coaches in the dugouts or on the fields. If the fan then chooses not to comply within five minutes, the game is called. If the fan does comply, play resumes but no additional time will be added to the game.
- When Away from Your Designated Seating Area, Wear Your Mask! | If you are moving around the park, including walking from/to the parking lot, visiting the concession stand, using the restroom, talking with others, then masks need to be worn by fans, coaches, players, umpires, concession workers, volunteer board members, etc. This is especially important when visiting the concession stand, where masks are required.
We remain steadfastly committed to providing each and every ballplayer a safe and responsible environment to play ball this fall. We all need to work together to avoid any disruptions to our season. And, if further changes to our guidelines are required, we will announce them promptly with expectations of full compliance from all OYO spectators and coaches.
Thank you for choosing OYO as your place for baseball and softball!