Opening Day Parade Set for Saturday, April 15
After a wild preseason of both snow and rain, we’re ready for a great stretch of weather leading up to Opening Day and the chance to say “Let’s Play Ball!”
On Saturday, April 15, our ballplayers and families will take part in our Opening Day festivities for our 49th annual season of baseball and softball! To help you begin making plans, here are some of the details you should note (and all are subject to change):
Arrival for Parade | Coaches should arrive by 8 a.m. and players/families may begin arriving at Oaklandon Elementary (6702 Oaklandon Road) at 8:15 a.m. Families are encouraged to park in the south parking lot of the church lot across the street and walk their player to their designated team meeting spot (download map).
Parade and Festivities | The parade will begin at 9 a.m. followed by brief announcements, presentations and ceremonial first pitches at OYO. All players will walk to OYO with the support of a police escort managing traffic to ensure a safe and positive experience, including timely closures of Oaklandon Road and Pendleton Pike for safe crossings.
Attire for Walking in the Parade | Players are encouraged to dress warm and wear tennis shoes (not cleats) for the parade. They also should be in uniform!
Game Times | Every team will play one game (and a couple teams may have doubleheaders). The season opens with first round of games at 10:45 a.m. Please review your schedule in LeagueApps for game times and field assignments.
Drop-off Procedures | Parents should drop their child off in front of the school between 8:15-8:45 a.m. Here are some helpful tips to consider:
- No parking at the school is allowed.
- Parking across the street in the south lot of the church is available.
- Lawrence Police will be available to direct you where to park.
Once a ballplayer connects with his/her team, then the parent has three options:
- Proceed to OYO/Veterans Memorial Park to await for their child(ren).
- Walk south on Oaklandon Road to find a spot to cheer on all the teams, players and coaches participating in the parade.
- Join your ballplayer and his/her team and walk the route!
What to Bring | Children should wear their uniforms and coaches/team parents who have purchased a team banner should also bring it for the parade. (Remember, team banners are optional so not all teams will have one.)
What NOT To Bring | We are asking all players and families to leave any horns and noisemakers at home to make this a pleasant and safe experience for all players and their families. Also, please leave at home your favorite dogs and pets since these not allowed as part of the parade or at Veterans Memorial Park, home of OYO, at any time.
Weather Considerations | As with any scheduled activity at OYO, please call the OYO WeatherLine at 317.767.5170 for the latest updates on the parade and game schedule for the day. As needed, we will begin updating the weatherline before 7:45 a.m. on Saturday, April 15.
Got Questions? | Please ask for help from any OYO Board Member. Our board members will be wearing red shirts and pullovers this year.
Concessions will be open! | Be sure to stop by either of our concession stands throughout the day! Cash and credit cards are accepted.
Respect Our Monuments | Please ask your ballplayers and children to not climb or play on the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir monument near Field 1 at the front of the park at any time during the season. Please respect our veterans and the monument placed in their honor.
SUMMARY | SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 8:00 a.m.: Coaches and/or Team Parent Arrive at Oaklandon Elementary school and go to designated team spot in the parking lot (area will be marked)
- 8:15-8:45 a.m.: All players should arrive at Oaklandon Elementary
- 9:00 a.m.: Parade begins
- 9:45 a.m.: Parade concludes at Veterans Memorial Park | Ceremony begins
- 10:15 a.m.: Opening Day Ceremony concludes
- 10:45 a.m.: Games begin (reference team’s schedule in LeagueApps)
Thank you for choosing OYO as your place for baseball and softball!